Monday, December 21, 2009

One of those runs

Last week, I had one of those runs.  It was one of those runs that just comes together.  So much so that I want to share it with everyone!  Thursday last week was packed.  Hubby was out of town so I needed to get the girls dropped off at school.  And from there on, each minute of the day was scheduled.  This is how it looked:

8:00am - Drop girls off
8:45 - 10:00 - Run Time
10:50 - Leave House
11:15 - Post Office
11:30 - 12:30 - Lunch date
1:00 New glasses
Must leave downtown by 2:10 in order to pick up Iz by 2:45
3:00 - 4:00 Groceries, gifts, errands, etc.
4:00 Pick up other girl.
Then homework, dinner, control the chaos, wrap presents etc.

I'm tired just looking at that schedule.  But the best part of the day occurred at 8:45.  The run.  Since I had run 13+ miles a couple days earlier, my plan was to run 8 pretty easy.  I talked it over with my run expert Son and she thought I should put in some mild pick-ups, a fartlek, after 4 miles.  Now, as a swimmer, a "fartlek" is an interesting concept for me (plus I just giggle when I say it...hehehe a fartlek).  People throw around that term all the time and I think there are several different meanings.  Run expert: what is a fartlek?  And this is the explanation I got.  Since I'm marathon training, my pick-ups would be a mildly faster pace than what I was doing.  As if I'm running along and next to me is big hairy sweaty man.  You know, dripping sweat on me.  Ewwwww.  I just need to be able to pick up the pace enough to drop him but not exert myself too much.

My first 4 miles were a breeze.  Heart rate was low, pace was fine, and I was wearing my beautiful new Brooks Launch shoes.  These things are a dream!  All sorts of people were out and about and I waved and said hello to all of them.  I was waving to the drivers in the cars and just smiling.  My iPod was behaving and playing great songs and I was singing along.  The weather was perfect too!  It just doesn't get much better than this!  The mountains looked beautiful and I could see the entire front range.  No yucky brown cloud on that day.  I looked up at Mt. Evans and knew I would be up there in a couple of days.

Then it was time to start the pick-ups.  And I imagined the guy next to me.  He kinda looked like this only sweatier.

Instantly I was under my goal marathon pace.  Without much effort at all.  30 seconds went by and I barely slowed down.  I did this for a couple of miles no problema, feeling great.    
But then I thought about this guy.
And my next mile was 7:44.  So here's to hoping I'm running next to big hairy sweaty guy during the marathon and controlling my pace.  And then this guy shows up the last couple of miles.  I'm sure to finish like a champ!!
All told, I'd run 8 miles in a beautiful negative split kinda way.  Heart rate was low throughout and I felt like I could keep running.  But, the schedule wouldn't allow it!  I headed home and got ready for the rest of the day.  That run still puts a smile on my face!

P.S.  I am a member of the Brooks ID program (quasi-sponsored) and thus need to mention this so the FTC doesn't get all caught up in their undies.  But really, those Launch shoes ROCK!

1 comment:

goSonja said...

Adorable post girlee! TeeHeeHee. What a blast. I can tell you are going to have a superb marathon, everything is falling into place. Awesome!